Everyone aims to keep a clean house. Now more than ever, you may be extra keen on disinfecting more often due to the global pandemic. But make sure that your efforts are not wasted! Even more so, make sure that you do not accidentally expose you and your family to harmful chemicals. At Raymus Homes, we believe that your home should be a haven. That is why we want to guide you towards safe and smart ways to disinfect so that you can truly have peace of mind when you are at home.
There is a difference between cleaning and disinfecting. Both are important in their own ways. Cleaning, for example, physically removes bacteria and viruses from surfaces, while disinfecting works to neutralize them.
Simple soap and water are excellent at cleaning areas around your home but it is not powerful enough to properly disinfect. For a solution to do the job of disinfecting, it needs to have an alcohol content of around 60-99 percent or a bleach content of about 5-6 percent. So, make sure that whatever products you are using fall into this range. You can even use rubbing alcohol for the job which is 68-72 percent alcohol. This will surely be effective without leaving surfaces icky and sticky.
Especially if you find it difficult to get a hold of your favorite disinfectants, you may be tempted to just combine a few different half empty bottles you have on hand. The danger in doing this, however, is that chemicals can have sometimes lethal effects when combined. For example, bleach is one disinfectant that you should be extra leery of. Mixing bleach with seemingly harmless vinegar can cause irritation and damage to your nose, throat, lungs, and eyes. Even more damaging is mixing bleach with ammonia which can cause explosions and could be potentially lethal! When it comes to chemicals like these, it is better to be safe than sorry. If you do not know how chemicals react with one another, it is much wiser to just avoid mixing them altogether.
If you keep fruits and other food out on your counter and do not put them away before you spray your disinfectant, those chemicals can coat those foods. The danger in this, of course, is that if you accidentally consume alcohol or bleach, you can become ill. Symptoms from consuming these chemicals include, dizziness, vomiting, internal bleeding, and potentially death.
One common misconception when it comes to disinfectants is that the effects are immediate. The best way to get the most out of your products is to just read the instructions. On those instructions you will find a recommended dwell time. Be sure to allow the disinfectant to sit for the appropriate amount of time for maximum effectiveness.
With these few key tips in mind, you can be sure that when you clean and disinfect your home that your efforts will be successful! Do not forget to check back regularly for new information and helpful guides here on our blog page.