As colder weather approaches you can take a few key steps to ensure your home serves you well through the coming months. Please take time to check these items in your home and attend to any that need maintenance
- Clean and test smoke alarms.
- Test and reset ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI) breakers.
- Change or clean the furnace filter.
- Operate the heating system.
- Adjust registers and confirm that cold air returns are clear of furniture or draperies.
- Adjust or replace weather stripping on exterior doors as needed.
- Check the fit of exterior doors.
- Check caulking, inside and out, and touch up.
- Remove hoses from exterior faucets. Use foam pipe insulation to protect the faucets.
- Inspect chimney for nests.
- Review safe fireplace operation. Provide professional cleaning at regular intervals.
- Check garage overhead door, tighten bolts as needed, and lubricate springs with motor
- oil. Have other repairs done by professionals.
- Clean gutters, check downspouts; confirm that splash blocks drain away from the house.
- Check foundation, concrete, and yard for settling; fill in as needed for positive drainage.
- On pleasant days, open windows to allow your home to breathe.
- Decorate safely for the holidays. Do not overload circuits or use worn extension cords.
If you have questions please refer to your Homeowner Manual, Suggested Maintenance, or call our office for information.